My changed attitude of Alopecia and was it Covid-19 that brought this to light?

First of all I would like to say that everything that I write in this blog post is MY experience and it is not a post of me telling you how you SHOULD feel about what's happening in your life. I would also like to apologise for not writing sooner, I could give you a million and one reasons for it and they still would not have been good enough. However I am glad I have taken some time out of writing to give me time and space to think about material for this post.

Lets start with the virus that is named Covid-19, originated from china and now out to infect millions of people worldwide so it is pretty serious right. When I first heard of the virus I was off to India to do some travelling and was very naive to think it would not come over to the UK and result in what we are experiencing right now, a LOCK DOWN on Easter Sunday.

Prior to India I decided to do less wig and more me, so my whole time in India was spent wigless which affected me in only positive ways. The locals would ask why I didn't have hair out of curiosity so I would tell of my Alopecia and they would quickly direct me to New Delhi where I would find a good doctor to treat me, but this was not my purpose for going to India.

On my return from India Covid-19 had reached Italy, and was coming for the UK, within a week of being back home panic buying had become a new trend and anxiety levels were high in the community. I still couldn't believe how quick this was all developing and before I knew it my business was closed and strict social distancing regulations were in place.

(This is not a government discussion so I am not going to sit here and type what the government should or shouldn't have done.)

Grief was everywhere, people were grieving loved ones that were taken by the virus and still are, people are grieving not seeing family and friends over Easter, people are grieving their loss of businesses and income, social interaction, intimacy from another human being, familiarity and routine just to name a few.

I too was grieving some of the above but I also experienced a huge shift within me... where did my Alopecia fit in in all over this? I have spent most of my time adjusting to this new (but not permanent) way of living that I did not give my Alopecia the time and mental space it once craved.

This helped me to realise that maybe other people are too busy to even notice that I have Alopecia (did they really notice or care in the first place?) well they sure as don't now when I am doing my essential supermarket shop completely bald.

Understandably there are a lot of feelings of loneliness but for me during Covid -19 I have felt the least lonely I have ever felt, I don't feel so alone with having a condition that my friends or family don't have because its just not bothering me right now.

I feel a sense of unity with my friends and family. I am experiencing something with all of them that I have never experienced before Covid- 19. I am mindful of making this post too long so I will stop now but I just wanted to say FOR ME Alopecia has taken a little back seat and I am grateful for this. Its okay if you are not experiencing the same as we are all ENTITLED to feel and experience what is happening for us and no one should be made to feel like their issues are less or more significant than another persons we are all going through something.

HAPPY EASTER ALL!

Stay well, Stay Safe and I will be back next week.

Thank you for reading x

Comments