Having a relationship with fear rather than suppressing it

FEAR

FEAR

FEAR 

Fear can be on different scales for different people but none the less everyone experiences some kind of fear in their life time. Fear can be a motivator for some and can hold a person back for others. Fear can determine whether you need to fight of flight, fear can be your best-est friend or your worst enemy. What do you think about when you see the word fear?

There are lots of cool acronyms associated with the word fear that can help people understand this small but very powerful word. Here are a few: False Evidence Appearing Real or Face Everything And Recover or F#&k Everything And Run 

It is no secret that I have experienced anxiety in my life time and as a result of this I have been forced to build a relationship with my mental health. I continue to work on my relationship with myself daily - the good and the bad so my mental health is always invited. This has not always been the case as I haven't always been so willing to look at my fears let alone face them. It's easy for me to distract myself when I am feeling anxious, I may have something to eat, put the T.V on, play some relaxing music, go for a walk or phone a friend which are all excellent ways to manage my anxiety but it doesn't always get to the root problem of why I am anxious. The solution for me is to sit in silence with my anxiety and possibly even journal, meditate on my anxiety until the answers come as sometimes its not completely obvious as to why I am feeling the way that I am feeling.

If I am aware of what is causing my anxiety I will do more of it. It is a horrible experience doing something that I am frightened of but when I am faced with the situation I am forced to work on myself and remind myself that I am completely safe. So the next time I do what I am frightened of (in my recent case, staying in a hotel room alone without my husband) I can train my mind into understanding that the last time I did what I was frightened of I was absolutely fine which will give me the confidence in doing it again another time.

Now I am not going to sit here and say I am going to conquer every single one of my fears in a short space of time or if ever - I don't particularly like snakes so I will not volunteer to sit in a room full of snakes unless I was invited on I'm a celebrity get me out of here and then that may be a different story haha.

Remember when challenging your fears it is actually a marathon not a sprint, so take your time, be kind to yourself and begin to recover.

Thank You for reading x

Comments