Alopecia can be a lonely place

Despite what people see (or think they see) I can sometimes struggle in social situations with at times feeling lonely in crowded places.

This is not a new feeling for me, I remember feeling like this a lot through school, I knew I had an anxiety that I was not able to relate with anyone else. However if I had this discussion with some people from school now I am sure they would say the same or similar things. I most certainly felt 'different' from my peers, but I think we all felt a little different at times. 

When the Alopecia presented itself to me, the feeling of feeling different and alone was at its highest, I would look around my school, work places and universities to see if anyone else was suffering with the same condition but I found no one. I joined an Alopecia support group online but it wasn't the same as meeting other bald people in person. 

Looking back on it, I don't think I was ready to meet other people with Alopecia. My self esteem was so low that I probably wouldn't have been able to cope with how well other people seemed to be coping with having Alopeca and I just wasn't. I used to compare myself to everyone back then which I understand now was a reflection on my self esteem. 

Now, I am not going to say I never compare myself to others, sometimes I feel that if I didn't have Alopecia, I would have been a 'more fun person' growing up and I would be in a different place to where I am now. 

But the reality is that it does not matter what other people think of me as they don't have to live with me for 24 hours a day, what matters is what I think of me. Yes I may have been in a different place if I didn't have Alopecia but the place I am in now is pretty awesome!  Obviously I want to be liked by others, but being liked by EVERYONE is not realistic so I do not compromise my natural personality for others. Alopecia is ONLY a lonely place if I choose to make it a lonely place...

The ways I can make Alopecia less lonely are to:
1. Continue to work on my relationship with myself
2. Reach out to others who have Alopecia
3. Understand
that my vibe is not going to attract everyone around me
4. Talk about how I am feeling
5. MOST OF ALL PRACTICE SELF KINDNESS EVERY DAY.

Whatever you are suffering from it doesn't need to be as lonely as what you think it is.

Thank you reading x 




Comments