Being a woman with alopecia

I was between 14 and 15 years old when I started to lose my hair. I was in year 10 in high school and for me this was a time where I became interested in the opposite sex. Boys were becoming more interested in girls and girls were becoming more interested in boys, (back then people were less open about their sexuality so it was assumed that boys liked girls and girls liked boys) it was just what happened at school. I became very comfortable with wearing a bra at this point and I had started to wear thongs as they just seemed so grown up and my friends were doing the same. I would carry my phone, body spray, perfume and lip gloss in my hand bag and I was pretty content with being a girl as it never crossed my mind to think any different.

I had started to receive treatment from quite a prestigious hair clinic in Victoria, London called The Belgravia Centre. They helped as best as they could but I fell into the statistics of those that may not be a success. They provided me with a hair piece to stick on my head to cover the bald patches and then eventually at the age of 21 they made a thick, long brown wig that I was able to stick on my head with a strong double sided tape. I felt like wigs were for old people, I did not like the thought of "putting it on" everyday but if I had a hair piece I would feel like the other girls who wore hair extensions and I wouldn't feel so different.

The thing is I did feel different, I not only felt different from other girls, I felt different from the general human species. Along side with feeling different I stopped feeling like a woman, that girly, womanly part of me died somehow, somewhere along the experience. Eventually I did go through phases of not taking care of myself as a woman, I wouldn't dress up and doing my make up and nails became a thing of the past.

I soon realised that 1, I was not the only woman with Alopecia (it just felt like it at times) and 2, other people were going through much worse (this is not to say that my issues or the issues of anyone else became insignificant). I have always worked in the health care profession and worked with a range of people with all kinds of disabilities, during my work as a Holistic Therapist I now see women who have had mastectomy's due to having breast cancer in which they often tell me that a part of them as a women was lost after their surgery. Listening to other peoples stories did not always make things better for me but it sure gave me the strength to carry on and to learn to celebrate my inner womanly goddess with or without my wig on.

I am not going to lie and say I never think about having a boob job or some lip fillers to make me feel a bit more girly but today I have chosen to celebrate the womanly goddess within me without the added extras. Whatever issue you have, it can affect the way you look at yourself as a women and that is OK, but don't forget to work through it until you can celebrate the GODNESS within YOU.

I often think would I celebrate myself THIS much if I didn't have Alopecia? probably not.

Thank you for reading x

Comments