Alopecia, Thyroid Cancer and Mental Health Issues

So the title pretty much sums my life up in a nutshell but this is not a pity blog, this blog will demonstrate how I now manage with having experienced the issues above.

If you have a similar diagnosis you may be wondering what came first. The mental health issue which may have contributed to the thyroid issue which may be related to the autoimmune disease that caused the Alopecia or was it the Alopecia that caused the mental health issue which contributed to the thyroid cancer. Or was it the undiagnosed thyroid issue which contributed to the Alopecia which caused the mental health issues? Bit of a mind field isn't it.

For me what I do know is that I struggled with anxiety from a very early age and remember having my first panic attack at the age of 2. Back then they didn't know what anxiety was so it was pretty difficult to get any support for it. I was a very fearful and anxious child so when I was diagnosed with Alopecia at the age of 15, inevitably I was going to be very anxious about the condition, depressed and very very very angry. Whoever has done a lot of personal development will say that anger is a toxic emotion which could lead to disease in the body i.e illness so we should be free from anger as much as possible to live healthily in body and spirit.

So when I was diagnosed with cancer I needed to ask myself some very brutal questions? Have I chosen this illness somewhere deep in my sub-conscious? Did I make myself poorly from my mental health? If I didn't have Alopecia and anxiety would I have ever been diagnosed with thyroid cancer?

The truth is I can't really answer any of the questions above and I can't say I ever will. But what I can focus on now is looking after my body, mind and spirit the best I can to decrease the chances of me getting any other diseases.

We can spend a life time asking questions like why me? and not ever find the answers. Instead of searching for answers spend your time and energy focusing on making yourself the best version of you and maybe the answers will come or maybe they won't. I can't say this will prevent you from having any health issues in your life, but what it can help you with is how you manage your health conditions in the future.

I would just like to add that I am now free from cancer. Horah!!

Thank you for reading x

Comments

  1. You have such a positive attitude and when I met you for the first time a few weeks ago it rubbed off on me, you are inspiring. I am looking forward to your 2020 blogs. Happy new year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jackie, it was lovely to have met you also and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon. Happy New Year!!

      Delete

Post a Comment